This is one of those recipes that I didn’t make thinking I was going to love it. I certainly didn’t think it was going to become a semi-regular meal in our house. Well, for the first time in my life…I was wrong. We were coming off of a juice cleanse and were trying to eat super clean, healthy and light foods so I made this. It’s actually super filling and satisfying, even if you haven’t just finished a juice cleanse.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g button top mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely diced
- 2 sprigs spring onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 150g oyster mushrooms
- 100g enoki mushrooms
- 400g soft tofu, cut into cubes
- chilis to serve
- herbs of your choice to serve
- Heat your olive oil into a large pot over medium heat. Add in your button mushrooms, ginger and spring onion. Sauté until lightly browned.
- Add in 5 cups of water and 1 tbsp of salt. Let simmer covered for 30-45 minutes or until stock is a rich brown color and fragrant.
- Let cool for 15 minutes then strain the stock. Hayden likes to sauté the mushrooms that I strain out and eat them with an egg on toast in the mornings.
- One you’re stock has been strained you can return it to the heat and add in your remaining mushrooms and tofu.
- Cook just until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with herbs and chilis of your choice.