I’d like to call this “not your average potato salad”, but I think “MTC’s Potato Salad” sounds a bit better. This really is so much better than your average potato salad. For starters, it doesn’t use mayo. Some people might look at this as a negative but I’m a firm believer in the lighter version of this American barbecue staple. It also uses a good bit of lemon zest and chives which brighten it up. Try my recipe, I dare you. I promise you will be converted into a firm believer of no mayo potato salad too.
- 2 kg (4.4 lbs) potatoes, I use the smallest potatoes I can find
- 250g (2/3 cup) sour cream
- 1/2 cup chives, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add in your potatoes and boil until cooked through. *a good way to test if the potato is cooked through is to insert a knife into the center of a potato and if it slips out easily, they are done.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, cut potatoes into your desired size and transfer into a large bowl. I cut mine in half once.
- Mix the sour cream, chives, celery and lemon zest through the potatoes until evenly coated. Be sure not to crush the potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve cold.