Last Sunday Hayden and I were walking to the shops to pick up a few ingredients for dinner. I was planning on making our favorite Sausage, Kale & Fennel Pasta but had the weirdest craving for salad so made a last minute change. When we got home I really was craving the pasta and wasn’t too excited for salad, not unusual to change my mind a million times. Long story short, I have never been happier to have salad for dinner. The boys added a bit of halloumi (I approve) and bacon (weird) to theirs and I had mine just as it is below. Seriously my new favorite salad.
- 1 large head of kale, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1/2 head of fennel
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Begin by removing the thick stalks from your kale leafs. Once removed and discarded, tare your kale leafs into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- If you own a mandolin, this is the time to use it. Set the blade to no thicker than 1/8 of an inch and slice your apple and fennel. *If you don’t own a mandolin you can thinly slice with a knife.
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat toast your pumpkin seeds until golden and fragrant. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Pour the 4 tbsp of olive oil and juice of 1 lemon over the kale. Massage with your hands until it begins to soften.
- Top with the fennel, apple and pumpkin seeds. Season with salt to taste.