I’m not vegan, but I have a bit of a strange obsession with vegan desserts. My theory is that it has something to do with the texture of cold coconut oil, but who really knows. When I was approached by Califia Farms to create a recipe using their Mocha Noir Cold Brew Coffee, I was pretty excited, because it’s actually the only brand of almond milk that I buy! Their almond milk is amazingly creamy and I’m loving this Cold Brew Coffee because it has a delicious, chocolaty taste…but is still lower in sugar. While this slice isn’t 100% vegan (hello honey!), it’s perfect for any occasion, including upcoming Easter festivities. I also love that it doesn’t leave you feeling guilty for sneaking a slice or two…or three.
Makes 1 5x10x3″ tray
- 1 ½ cups raw almonds
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
For Mocha Cream
- 1 ½ cups Califia’s Cocoa Noir Cold Brew Coffee with Almond
- 2 cups nuts of your choice, I use half walnuts and half almonds
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ¼ cup coco powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- Cover 2 cups of nuts of your choice with 1 ½ cups Califia’s Cocoa Noir Cold Brew Coffee with Almond.
- Leave in the fridge to soak for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- After the nuts have soaked you can begin your crust.
- Line a 5x10x3” baking pan with baking paper.
- Add your raw almonds into a food processor or blender and blitz until coarsely ground.
- Add in your dates, coconut oil and salt. Blitz until fully combined and the mixture can be easily stuck together with your fingers.
- Pour base out into your prepared pan and press firmly and evenly over the bottom. Freeze until your mocha cream is ready.
- To make your mocha cream add your soaked nuts and Califia’s Cocoa Noir Cold Brew Coffee with Almond they have been soaking in, into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth then add in your honey, coconut oil and salt. Blend until light and creamy.
- Pour mocha cream over the base layer and smooth evenly with the back of a spoon. Place back in the freezer to set for at least 1 hour.
- Once your mocha cream layer has set you can make your chocolate layer.
- Simply mix the coconut oil, cocoa powder and honey in a bowl until smooth. Pour over the mocha layer and sprinkle with cacao nibs before the chocolate hardens. Return to the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing. Store in the freezer.