There really are few things in life better than a good taco. And I mean that. My perfect taco is without a doubt, al pastor. I stole this recipe from my dad…because he knows how to make them perfectly. To quote our housemate “they’re the best tacos I’ve ever had”.
Serves 4-5 people,
- 1.5kg pork, shoulder, butt or scotch fillet
- 300ml pineapple juice
- 300ml orange juice
- 4 Guajillo chiles, seeds and stem removed
- 3 Ancho chiles, seeds and stem removed
- 1 Chipotle chile, seeds and stem removed
- 1 can (400g) whole peeled tomatoes, strained
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring your pineapple and orange juice to a boil.
- Once boiling you can add in your chiles.
- Return to a boil then add your tomatoes, oregano, garlic and onion. Boil again.
- Add in your cloves, brown sugar, cider vinegar, vegetable oil and salt. Boil for 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Let cool completely. Once cooled add marinade into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Pour marinade over pork and let rest in the fridge for at least 5 hours, or overnight.
- Grill the pork over a hot barbecue/grill until cooked through and charred. Let rest before cutting into thin slices and roughly chopping through.
- Serve with grilled pineapple, fresh white onion, coriander and lime on corn tortillas.