My brother, Nathaniel, started making buffalo chicken dip a few years ago when we would have dinner parties. Like, nice dinner parties. At first it seemed a bit weird and definitely looked a bit out of place next to the oysters and cheese boards, but the dish was always licked clean by the end of the night. So he kept making it and people kept eating it, sometimes even requesting that he make it. It became a thing.
I had him teach me his buffalo chicken dip ways a few years back and actually made it my first week in Sydney. Hayden had organized a bit of a barbecue on our rooftop for me to meet all of his family and friends (only slightly intimidating…). I felt like I should contribute something other than my newness and American accent, so I made buffalo chicken dip. It’s safe to say it was a hit, the dish was licked clean by the end of the day and his sister and brother-in-law still request that I make it a few times a year. I even made it for his sister in place her birthday cake one year. It’s good.
Makes 1 6 inch round dish
- 1 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 250g (8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 250ml (8.4 fl oz) ranch dressing
- 148ml (5 fl oz) Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 head celery
- 1 cup scallions/spring onion, diced
- Preheat your oven to 150ºC (300ºF)
- Once oven is preheated bake your chicken breast for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked through. Let Cool.
- Shred your cooked chicken into small bite sized pieces and place in a bowl along with the Franks Red Hot Sauce. Mix through and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, ranch, 1/2 cup cheddar and 1 stalk of diced celery. Mix together and set aside.
- Lightly grease your baking dish with oil.
- Scoop about 4 tbsp of the cream cheese mix into the dish and smooth into a flat layer. Top with the buffalo chicken, followed by a final layer of the remaining cream cheese.
- Top with 1/2 cup of cheddar and blue cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbling.
- Garnish with diced scallions/spring onion.
- Serve with chips and celery.