This is a recipe from my dad’s family. They got it from a friend they visited up in New Hampshire when they were kids. It is awesome. It’s one of those dishes that you might as well double it and make two because it only takes ten minutes and it’s gone, especially if my dad is around. I’ve written up this recipe exactly as my Aunt Meredith wrote it for our family recipe book, super simple.
Makes 1 8×8 inch glass baking dish
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup crisco (vegetable shortening)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup soft butter
Preheat oven to 190ºC (375ºF)
- Mix sugar, crisco and egg together.
- Stir in milk.
- Stir in flour, don’t over mix.
- Gently stir in blueberries
- Pour into greased 8×8 pan.
- Create the crumb topping by “cutting butter in” to dry ingredients using 2 knives. Stop once crumbly.
- Pour over the base.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes in the center of the oven, or until a toothpick comes out clean when put into the center.
- Serve hot with good butter and a cup of tea or coffee.