One of my favorite recipes when I want something filling and cozy without going into a food coma immediately after eating (depending on how much sour cream and cheese you add…I add a lot). Eat on it’s own or with any toppings you like- sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, coriander (cilantro), hot sauce, lime, cheese.. pretty much anything goes. You can also eat it how Hayden likes to, wrapped up in a soft corn tortilla as more of a taco, or layered on tortilla chips with cheese (nachos!!!).
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or green capsicum (bell pepper), roughly chopped into cubes
- 4 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo, be sure to dice up the whole chipotle peppers. Add more if you like a spicier chili
- 2 lbs (about 1kg) turkey mince, if turkey isn’t your thing you can use chicken mince and if you just want beef you can use beef..
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can butter beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- In a deep cast iron pan, sauté your onions and peppers until soft. 5-7 minutes.
- Once your peppers and onions have softened, add in the chipotle peppers in adobo. Stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in your turkey. Be sure to break up the turkey as it cooks. 6-8 minutes.
- Add in your beans and diced tomatoes
- Let simmer over low to medium heat for at least 30 minutes, the longer it simmers, the better it tastes. (I would recommend simmering for 2 hours for the best result).
- Serve hot, with any of the above suggested toppings or serving styles. Enjoy!
*This is a great dish to make ahead and freeze. Just be sure to put it into idividual containers if you don’t want it all at once!