I first made these flat breads about a year ago. I had a few hours to spare and felt like trying something new. This was a BIG mistake. I now HAVE TO make them for any meal you could possibly eat a flat bread on or with because Hayden likes them so much. Yeah, they’re pretty good. If you make these flat breads and find yourself in a similar situation, don’t say you weren’t warned. Proceed with caution.
Makes 6-8 flat breads
- 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine yeast, salt, sugar, olive oil, warm water and whole wheat flour in a medium bowl. Mix with a spoon until combined.
- Add in your all-purpose flour and mix until it comes together in a shaggy dough ball.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm dry place to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and roll out on a lightly floured work surface. Cut the dough into 6-8 even pieces. Roll pieces into a ball and set aside to rise under a cloth for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 500ºF. Place your baking stone in the top half of your oven. *If you do not have a baking stone you can use a heavy cast iron pan or a heavy cookie sheet.
- After the dough has rested for 15 minutes roll out into disks, no more than 1/4 of an inch thick. Let rise under a cloth for a final 20 minutes.
- Once flat breads have risen and oven is hot, carefully place them topside down on the hot baking stone.
- Let them bake for 2-4 minutes, or until they are cooked through and golden on he edges. Repeat with remaining breads.
- Transfer into a cloth lined bowl, serve immediately.
We made these last night to eat with my Vegetable Tagine (we really made Chicken Tagine..recipe will be up ASAP).
This recipe was adapted from Serious Eat’s Pita Bread Recipe 🙂