Stop what you’re doing and make this right now. Seriously. This is a super simple recipe that highlights one of the best things about summer- peaches.
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 large or 8 small, ripe yellow peaches, skins removed and cut into 8th’s
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- pinch of salt
- In a large food processor (this can be done by hand) combine flour, butter and salt. Blitz just to mix slightly. Slowly add the water while food processor is on until a loose mix has formed. (Do not over mix!)
- Empty your dough onto a lightly flowered surface and kneed into a ball.
- Separate into two even disks.
- Cover individual dough disks tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
Preheat your oven to 200ºC (400ºF)
- Remove one disk of dough from the fridge.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface until it is 1/8 of an inch thick and will cover the base of your pie dish.
- Lay the dough into your pie dish and press down into corners and edges.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let set for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine your sliced peaches, corn starch, lemon juice, white sugar, brown sugar, along with 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Remove your pie dish, and remaining dough from the fridge.
- Roll out your remaining dough on a floured surface until 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Cut your dough into 3/4 inch thick ribbons. Set aside.
- Pour your peaches into prepared pie dish.
- Layer your strips of dough over the peaches, weaving then one over the other to create a classic lattice top.
- Pinch edges together.
- In a small bowl combine turbinado sugar and a pinch of salt
- Using a pastry brush, or your fingers, lightly brush milk over all exposed bits of dough.
- Sprinkle sugar and salt mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200ºC (400ºF) then bake for 40 minutes at 175ºC (350ºF), or until the top is a deep golden brown and the peaches are bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*If you feel the crust is browning too quickly, simply over with a pieces of aluminum foil.