This is my mother’s recipe. If you know my mother, you know how amazing of anything she cooks is. If you don’t know her, take my word for it. Make this steak and your life will be changed forever. It is THAT good.
- 2 lbs skirt steak, also known as flank steak
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 orange, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 shallots, roughly chopped
- Combine all the ingredients, excluding the steak, in a bowl. Mix until sugar has dissolved.
- Place the steak into a large, freezer proof (stronger), plastic bag.
- Pour the marinade over the steak and close the bag tightly. *If you’re worried about the bag leaking, simply double up of place the bag into a bowl.
- After you’ve closed the bag, massage the steak and marinade so that it is completely covered.
- Let rest in fridge for at least 2 hours, overnight is preferable.
- Remove steak from fridge 1 hour before grill time. This allows the meat to come up to temperature and helps ensure even cooking.
- Heat your grilled to high.
- Once your grill is hot, lay your steak directly over the grates.
- For a medium-rare steak, cook on each side for 2-4 minutes depending on thickness.
- Once you’ve achieved your desired temperature for the steak, remove from the grill and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with some grilled asparagus or a simple salad.