This recipe is super simple and doesn’t take much time at all. Perfect for the last minute barbecue, or just a sneaky midweek treat.
- 280g self rising flour
- 250g white sugar, 50g reserved
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla paste
- 150ml whole milk, lightly warmed
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 2-3 boxes ripe strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp gelatin powder
Preheat your oven to 180ºC fan force
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, 200g sugar, eggs, 1 tbsp vanilla paste, milk and melted butter, until just combined.
- Lightly grease a 12×8 baking dish with butter.
- Pour and evenly spread the cake batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the center bounces back when touched.
- While your cake is in the oven, core and cut your strawberries into quarters.
- Mix strawberries and remaining 50g of sugar into a bowl. Let rest at room temperature.
- Allow the cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes, before turning out on a wire wrack to finish cooling.
- Using a hand mixer beat your cream, gelatin and remaining vanilla together until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, return the cooled cake to the original baking dish. Smooth the cream layer evenly over the cake. Finally, spoon the strawberries over the cream.
The gelatin helps this cake last longer in the fridge, it can easily be made a few house before needed. Enjoy!