I started making this lasagna a few years ago. I was modeling and wanted something that was filling but without the carbs of pasta or guilt of a few tubs of ricotta. So, I put together a dish that I’ve been making at least once a month ever since. Even my lasagna loving boyfriend and roommate approved. *Our roommate, Ed, loves lasagna so much he tried to eat a different lasagna every week for an entire year…he lasted 34 weeks.
- 2 tubs low fat cottage cheese *if this freaks you out you can substitute it with ricotta
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8-10 medium zucchini, cut into coins 1/8 inch thick
- 700ml tomato passata sauce (pureed tomato sauce)
- 2 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan, 4 tbsp reserved
Preheat your oven to 200ºC
- In a food processor purée cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan, basil and some fresh cracked pepper until smooth.
- Lightly oil a baking dish. Cover the bottom with a thin layer of tomato pasta.
- Arrange the zucchini around the dish, letting them overlap so it forms a solid layer.
- Take a few tables spoons of your cheese mix and smooth evenly over the zucchini layer. Then zucchini, tomato, zucchini, cheese etc..
- Continue the layers until you reach just below the rim. It is very important that the last layer below the top is cheese.
- Cover the top with reserved parmesan.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for one hour or until center bounces back when touched.
- Let cool for 10 minutes out of oven.